From Tipperary to techno: An Irish woman DJ in New York

 I’ve always been a huge fan of dancing - and with every kind of music associated with that. Growing up, I pretty much only listened to disco and music from Detroit and Chicago. I moved to NYC in the late 1990s and worked in theatre off Broadway and also in comedy, which I still do.

In 2008 I was doing some freelance journalism for newspapers here and got press passes for a gig at NYC’s iconic Roseland Ballroom to hear German trance DJ Paul van Dyk. I walked in and was blown away by the lights, the lasers, the whole vibe. I had been to clubs before, but this was a different animal. It really was a life-altering moment for me.

I went on to organise groups that went out regularly to club gigs around the city. Eventually, through meeting and hearing other music suggested by friends, I left behind the world of trance and discovered techno. I was writing a small column for Clubbers Guide Ireland called View from the Bridge about gigs I was attending here in New York and my friend Gareth, who ran that, suggested I start a similar one in NYC. I did and clubbersguidenewyork.com was born.

I have now interviewed more than 270 top-name DJs from all over the world, basically going out every weekend for 10 years to experience all the fabulous music NYC has on offer.

I did radio and on-camera interviews at festivals here too, coming live from NYC on RTE Pulse. I suppose it was inevitable then that I would become interested in DJing, which led me to my current incarnation of Spin D.

I’ve been very fortunate to play all over the New York, Denver, Detroit (for Movement Festival) and played Basement in Galway a few years back, which was so much fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laura Geller Shared Her Favorite Face-Enhancing Makeup Tips for Women Over 40

Changing Your Personal Lifestyle Is Just A Small Part Of Fixing The Climate Crisis